Copyright © 2016
SJDS to Santa Elena
We waited for a lull in the Papagayos and made a run for Bahia Santa Elena.
We used the motor to take the strain off the anchor chain but after the anchor was up we were able to sail out of the anchorage. We stayed about a mile offshore and actually sailed under headsail alone. Wind was on the beam the whole time 20-25kts with the odd gust in the high 30s.
Crossing Bahia Salinas
We waited until Santa Elena was due south of us before cutting across Bahia Salinas. We felt this would limit our exposure if the wind kicked up again. It was an easy sail down towards Elena with the wind on the beam.
Bahia Santa Elena
Easy entrance even though it was a bit narrower than I had expected. The bay was also a bit windier than expected as well.
Santa Elena to Coco
We weren’t sure what to expect around Cabo Santa Elena. We know Cape’s tend to accelerate winds and currents so we prepared for the worst. The run from the bay to the point was a nice beam to broad reach.
If the winds were cranking once we rounded the Cape we would tuck in tight above the Murcielagos and beat our way east as a motor-sailor or even just as a straight motorboat (whichever was more comfortable. We would take whatever measures to keep the fetch down and get east as quickly as possible.
I think we got a little lucky and had pretty mellow winds all the way around. We never saw more than 20kts although the forecast was for 10kts…. With the lighter winds we decided to swing wide around the Murcielagos. From the time we rounded the Cape to the time we rounded the islands the wind went to 0kts and the water temperature jumped 10 deg F!!
From there until we were within a few miles of Playa del Coco we had less than 5kts of wind. At the very end we got a last little bit of wind to sail the home stretch
If we did it again I would do this stretch the same way.
Marc and Laura.
Hit SUBSCRIBE to follow our adventure on YouTube.