Copyright © 2016
This weeks project was dealing with the old wiring thru hull at the base of the mast.
This area has been a problem for years because the the fittings were old and a proper repair is difficult. A proper repair involves dropping the mast which wasn't realistic for us these days. Anyway we tried a variety of duct tape and other "super temporary" solutions but obviously nothing worked properly. Since we don't have the means to deal with the full repair now we needed to find a reasonable repair solution until it can be dealt with properly.
Next we started welding in the plates. As we were just getting set up we didn't immediately realize we had run out of welding gas. Things didn't go so well at first. A bit of cursing and head scratching ensued. Once I figured out the problem I switched over to flux core wire and everything worked fine.
Once the plates were welded we sealed everything up with 2 part epoxy and some sand-able filler. This helps protect the steel and will let us smooth out the weld without grinding it down. We sealed the last seam with polysulphide and left everything to dry and cure properly. We will be repainting the entire boat later this winter so this is where the project ends.. (for now....)
Marc and Laura.
Hit SUBSCRIBE to follow our adventure on YouTube.